Everyone loves a relaxing, re-energizing vacation. Here are a few tips on how to stay healthy on vacation that will have you coming home from feeling a little lighter and fitter than when you left! Remember, you relax too much, you may come home with a little excess baggage – around your waist that is!
Drink Water to Stay Healthy on Vacation
Whether you are playing in the water all day at your favorite beach, hiking through the Alps or walking the cobblestone streets of Venice, Italy, you need to stay hydrated. Making up over 60 percent of our body weight, water is a key component to keeping internal systems running healthy. Throughout the day, you lose water in many ways, including sweat and bodily functions.
You may not feel like you are sweating while frolicking in the ocean but you are! Sweat accounts for about 25 percent of your water loss and not replacing that water can lead to dehydration and a ruined vacation. Drinking enough water is an important ingredient to how to stay healthy on vacation. Here are three easy tips on how to stay healthy with hydration:
- Visit a local store and stock up on bottled water for your hotel room. Throw a couple in your daypack before heading out and take a swig a few times per hour.
- Eat fruit. Tomatoes, melons, and citrus fruits are high in water content.
- Go light on the caffeine! Too much caffeine can lead to dehydration.
Exercise to Stay Healthy on Vacation
You can have fun and burn calories at the same time! Sound good? You don’t have to put your fitness on hold, just think of it in a different way. Exercise does not always mean getting yourself to a gym; it’s any physical activity that gets you moving. Moving elevates your metabolism for hours, which in turn burns more calories. Here’s your tips on how to stay healthy by keeping active:
- Walk. There is no better way to sightsee then to walk the neighborhoods and attractions. You get to have a cultural experience and burn calories at the same time. With so much to see, you can easily average five or more miles per day!
- Pack your strength bands. Strength bands take up almost no room in your bag and can create resistance up to 300 pounds! You can do over 40 exercises with strength bands!
- Swim. If you are living it up near an ocean or have access to a pool, swimming is the perfect way to burn calories and stay cool!
Eat Nutritious Food to Stay Healthy on Vacation
The one thing you don’t want to forget to take with you on vacation is your healthy eating habits! It’s easy to slip into the nearest fast food restaurant and fill up on high calorie foods that can make you feel lethargic later. Instead, seek out fresh foods whenever possible.
Don’t ruin your fun by not listening to these tips about how to stay healthy on vacation! You’ll need nutrient dense foods to keep your energy up and your weight down! Here are some tips on how to stay healthy with good food to help you stay on track:
- Fruit and veggies. Visit the outdoor markets where you’ll find a cultural shopping experience and a wide selection of fresh fruits and vegetables. These make great snacks to take with you or keep in your room for evening nibbling. By filling up on fruits and raw veggies, you’ll satisfy your appetite, stay energized, and provide fiber to keep your body running efficiently.
- Choose your foods wisely. When eating out in any restaurant, there are always plenty of options. Choose foods that are broiled, grilled, or steamed, and remember, you don’t have to eat everything on your plate! Even fast food restaurants offer some healthy choices on their menu.
By making healthy eating and regular exercise a lifestyle habit, you’ll enjoy a healthier, fulfilling life whether you are on vacation or at home.