Summer is that time of year when sticking to a fitness program is a real challenge. It’s easier to sit by the pool instead of swim in it or go see a movie in air conditioning instead of going for walk.
No matter what time of year, you can enjoy good health with regular exercise. Take advantage of the beautiful summer days while staying fit. Don’t let the summer go by without engaging in some fun activities.
Here are 5 fitness tips for summer to help you stay fit and healthy.
- Water. You’ll need lots of it as the temperature soar. When you participate in activities, carry a water bottle at all times. Even while swimming, you lose a lot of fluids through sweat. Never wait until you are thirsty to drink water. Make it a habit to stay hydrated all day and you’ll have more energy to do the outdoor activities you enjoy.
- Enjoy outdoor activities. Summer is a great time of year to get outdoors and burn up the calories. Whether you are swimming or just running in the lawn sprinklers with the family, you can get fit and have fun at the same time. Don’t forget your sunscreen! Apply it often.
- Enjoy indoor activities. Some places are just too hot! When the heat and humidity are so high that you need to stay indoors, there are plenty of activities to keep you busy and burn calories. If you belong to gym, take a Zumba or Yoga class for an indoor workout that will keep you cool. If you are home, push play on a workout program DVD and get your metabolism moving in the right direction.
- Workout early. When the summer weather hits, try getting up a little earlier to do your workout. It’s cooler at 6am than it is at 4pm. You’ll also start the day fresh with your workout behind you! That will give you more time to barbeque or enjoy some family fun later in the day. You can do it!
- BBQ Healthy foods. I love the summer, it’s a great time of get-togethers and BBQ with friends. When it’s your turn to host a BBQ, choose healthy foods instead of the fattening stuff. Offer cut up fruits and veggies with hummus dip. You can even throw some veggies on the grill. Stick with lean proteins too. Remember the much of the fat from chicken is in the skin. Keep it healthy by removing the skin before you cook it!
I hope you enjoyed these 5 fitness tips for summer. Now go have some fun!
Leave a Reply